[pct-l] PCT Manning Park to Cascade Locks - entering the USA

You really don't want to know. This was covered last year too and it "ain't"
pretty.

Officially, you can not enter the USA via the PCT because you are suppose to go
through immigration and get any entry permit - and there isn't a check point on
the PCT. So, there is NO legal way for a non-US citizen to enter the the USA
from Canada. You can't go to a check station somewhere else. It has to be right
there.

When you enter the USA you are suppose to get the permit. When you leave you
are suppose to surrender it. So, if you enter the USA by flying into Seattle,
you would get an entry permit there. When you get a bus to Canada, you are
suppose to surrender the permit at the border. If you fly directly to Canada,
you will have no USA permit at all. Are these permits checked? Don't know.

So what to do? Skipping the section is the only legal way. Enter somewhere else
at a border crossing, get to the PCT in the US, hike to the Canadian border and
then return.

Or just do it and presume you won't get caught.

Sorry, that is the information I have received.

--
Marshall Karon
Portland, OR