From: "David Davis" <dave@livebythepark.com>
To: "Michael Lissner" <Michael_Lissner@pitzer.edu>; <pct-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2003 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] foot and other pains questions

I get what you call "mush butt" real bad.  In my experience, it's worse in
hot (sweaty) weather.  Two things help me. First, fold a sheet of DURABLE
soft paper and place between cheeks while walking (friction will hold it
there pretty well).  TP or ordinary paper (likeguidebook pages) will not
work, it just dissolves into gunky balls which makes the problem worse.
Paper towel is OK but kind of coarse.  The best I've ever used is the
military TP that comes in MRE packages.  Cloth works great too, but I don't
like to use it when hiking because it gets really nasty and disposal is a
problem.  Second, and even better is to give the area a good washing every
few hours, preferably with a moist towelette.  I find that 2 towelettes a
day will almost solve the problem and 3 definitely will.  I treat towelettes
as part of my food ration and just as important.

For the foot pain problem, check the insoles.  I find that some softer
insoles will imprint with the pattern of my feet.  In other words, the toes,
ball and heel create deep impressions causing ridges in other areas.  For
me, one ridge is always right in front of the ball causing a pain like you
describe.  I either pull out and throw away the insoles and just walk on the
hard sole of the shoe, or if possible, I carve of the ridged portions.