[pct-l] Re: equipment questions

>Message: 16
>From: "Ripperton Matt" <maripper@mindspring.com>
>To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
>Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 20:19:51 -0500
>Subject: [pct-l] Re: equipment questions

>Anyway, a few more questions as I scramble to get my gear together at the
>last minute...

>1) I do have "some" snow/mountaineering experience (Rainier seminar a
couple
>of years ago), but nonetheless it sounds like instep crampons are probably
>overkill & not a good idea.  What about Yak Traxx?  I've never tried these,
>do they help at all?   I'm simply looking for a simple, lightweight way to
>gain a little extra traction, so that I can still wear my running-type
shoes
>in the snow.

I have used the Kahtolla 10pt crampons that weigh just over 1lb and have
been very satisfied with their performance.  They are the same crampons used
in the Echo Challenge.

>2) I'm interested in hearing some feedback on the "Safewater Anywhere"
>in-line filter you can splice into a reservoir drinking tube.  I've always
>enjoyed being able to filter & drink right away, but I'd like to dump my
Pur
>Hiker if there's a lighter, non-chemical alternative.

I have been using this system with two platypus water containers for the
past two years.  The only thing you have to be aware of is that the filter
can become "vapor locked" which requires one to loosen the filter threads to
establish water flow then retighten.  The filter rate slows over time, but
if you prefilter through a bandanna I think you can get double the 100
gallon advertised limit.  On several AT section hikes I have filtered for
other folks at the shelters, all agreed that not having to pump to filter is
awesome!  Also, the filter only weighs about 4oz. About 1/3 of many other
well known manufacturers.

I hope this helps, good luck with your hike.

Jared