[pct-l] Re: equipment questions

 have used a safewater filter for 2 years now( I think I went through
about 5 of them).  I have never gotten near the mileage they specify.  They
start to slow down miserably in about a week of daily use and are
completely useless in 2 weeks. Consequently I went out of my way to carry
water from reliable sources that did not need filtering.

At first I thought I just was not being careful and needed a prefilter, but
it barely made any difference.  May have something to do with carbonates in
the water too, but I know thaat they do not last even when you are careful
to filter "clean" water

I use their inline filter and just put it on a platypus and hang the whole
thing over my water bottle or pot, and let gravity do its work.  Use iodine
in a pinch during the day.

Somebody left one on the trail just South of Anza and I know why.I love the
concept and how thye work at first, and hate the shutdown after so few
days.

Does anybody else know of an inline filter that works better?.  Saw another
one in 99 but don't know the manufacturer.
.

Joanne