From: <wandering_bob@msn.com>
To: "PCT List Forum" <PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2003 4:28 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Snake Bite Kit

--
Moose - you're entitled to your opinions, but please get your facts
straight.

There are 4 poisonous snakes and 2 poisonous lizards native to the USA.

The seriousness of a bite from any venomous reptile depends upon  (1) the
species of snake, (2) the age and health of the person bitten, (3) the
location of the bite, (4) whether or not venom was injected (about 40% of
the bites are dry), (5) how much venom (a factor of the age, health, and
size of the snake) was injected, and (6) how far the victim is from adequate
medical care.

1. I submit that you're wrong about rattlesnakes. A rattlesnake bite is a
serious issue at all times. In the case of the Mojave Green Rattlesnake, it
is a serious medical emergency since this snake has both a neuro- and a
hemotoxin in its venom. With other rattlers, the seriousness of the bite
depend upon The Mojave Green notwithstanding, untreated bites seldom cause
death from the toxin alone, but can result in tissue death (necrosis),
ulceration, and secondary infection that can in themselves become
life-threatening. There is a huge difference in severity between the bites
from a 10 inch Pigmy rattler and a six foot Eastern or Western Diamondback
rattler.

2. If I read your comment about Copperheads as indicating that you consider
the danger from them to be similar to that from the Coral snakes, then I
submit that you are also wrong.  A Copperhead bite is not normally
life-threatening to a healthy adult (accent on the "healthy" and "adult").
However, to a child or to an adult with a weakened immune system, the
opposite is true and medical attention is needed ASAP.

3. You are correct about the Coral Snake; it's bite represents a true
medical emergency to anyone of any size due to the neurotoxin injected.

4. You neglected to mention the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin. This snake tends
to be large and highly aggressive. It is quite capable of delivering a bite
under water (how do you think it catches the fish it eats?) as it can close
off its trachea so it doesn't drown as it swims. Its bite is similar to a
rattlesnake and the same factors for evaluating seriousness apply.

5. Both venomous lizards - the Mexican Beaded Lizard and the Gila Monster -
have the fangs in the rear of the mouth. For this reason, they have to chew
on the bite site to abrade it. The fangs are usually too small to inject the
venom; they just let it flow out into the abraded wound. The venom is a
neurotoxin and is considered to be almost as serious as a coral snake bite.
Seek immediate medical attention.

6. Your comments on how to avoid snakes and that they do not deliberately
hunt humans are correct. It goes without saying that when cornered or
attacked, any creature may well turn and come after their attacker.

NOTE: Most antivenins are specific to the species of snake. Unless you are
capable of absolutely identifying the snake involved, it would be helpful to
the medical personnel to have the DEAD snake brought in with the patient so
it can be positively identified. It also helps them gauge the likely amount
of venom injected. Don't risk another bite by trying to kill it!

Bottom line: It's YOUR life. If bitten, you have to ask yourself  a
question, "Do I feel lucky today?".

Wandering Bob