[pct-l] Snake Bite Kit

--
Moose - you're entitled to your opinions, but please get your facts straigh=
t=2E

There are 4 poisonous snakes and 2 poisonous lizards native to the USA.

The seriousness of a bite from any venomous reptile depends upon  (1) the s=
pecies of snake, (2) the age and health of the person bitten, (3) the locat=
ion of the bite, (4) whether or not venom was injected (about 40% of the bi=
tes are dry), (5) how much venom (a factor of the age, health, and size of =
the snake) was injected, and (6) how far the victim is from adequate medica=
l care.

1=2E I submit that you're wrong about rattlesnakes. A rattlesnake bite is a=
 serious issue at all times. In the case of the Mojave Green Rattlesnake, i=
t is a serious medical emergency since this snake has both a neuro- and a h=
emotoxin in its venom. With other rattlers, the seriousness of the bite dep=
end upon The Mojave Green notwithstanding, untreated bites seldom cause dea=
th from the toxin alone, but can result in tissue death (necrosis), ulcerat=
ion, and secondary infection that can in themselves become life-threatening=
. There is a huge difference in severity between the bites from a 10 inch P=
igmy rattler and a six foot Eastern or Western Diamondback rattler.

2=2E If I read your comment about Copperheads as indicating that you consid=
er the danger from them to be similar to that from the Coral snakes, then I=
 submit that you are also wrong.  A Copperhead bite is not normally life-th=
reatening to a healthy adult (accent on the "healthy" and "adult"). However=
, to a child or to an adult with a weakened immune system, the opposite is =
true and medical attention is needed ASAP.

3=2E You are correct about the Coral Snake; it's bite represents a true med=
ical emergency to anyone of any size due to the neurotoxin injected.

4=2E You neglected to mention the Cottonmouth Water Moccasin. This snake te=
nds to be large and highly aggressive. It is quite capable of delivering a =
bite under water (how do you think it catches the fish it eats?) as it can =
close off its trachea so it doesn't drown as it swims. Its bite is similar =
to a rattlesnake and the same factors for evaluating seriousness apply.

5=2E Both venomous lizards - the Mexican Beaded Lizard and the Gila Monster=
 - have the fangs in the rear of the mouth. For this reason, they have to c=
hew on the bite site to abrade it. The fangs are usually too small to injec=
t the venom; they just let it flow out into the abraded wound. The venom is=
 a neurotoxin and is considered to be almost as serious as a coral snake bi=
te. Seek immediate medical attention.

6=2E Your comments on how to avoid snakes and that they do not deliberately=
 hunt humans are correct. It goes without saying that when cornered or atta=
cked, any creature may well turn and come after their attacker.

NOTE: Most antivenins are specific to the species of snake. Unless you are =
capable of absolutely identifying the snake involved, it would be helpful t=
o the medical personnel to have the DEAD snake brought in with the patient =
so it can be positively identified. It also helps them gauge the likely amo=
unt of venom injected. Don't risk another bite by trying to kill it!

Bottom line: It's YOUR life. If bitten, you have to ask yourself  a questio=
n, "Do I feel lucky today?".

Wandering Bob