[pct-l] Whitney from Lone Pine

--
Ten miles, 6000 vertical feet... It's been quite a while since I went in on
the trail, but have done it a number of times.  In earlier years there was a
race... I think the guy that won it in the last race in 1960 did it in 2
hours and 45 mins, round trip.  My guess is you should plan on a bit longer.
Try to spend the night at Whitney Portal...8000 some odd feet.  It will help
you acclimatize.  My suggestion is to take two days.  One day to Trail
Camp...something like 6 miles in.  Next day to the top and back to the car.
I know that to thru hikers, this sounds like a weenie distance, but I hold
clear in my mind a 30 day trip on the JMT that ended at Whitney.  Spent the
night on the top.  Next day , on the way down, there were a jillion people
going up...they were wearing this 10K shirt and that Marathon shirt..it
didn't matter, on the switchbacks above Trail Camp, their tongues were
hanging out.  The altitude can be quite a factor.  Best of luck.

No Way