[pct-l] ice axe length

On Sunday, February 16, 2003, at 11:05  AM, Brad Wilson wrote:
> I'm from RI - there's not a whole lot in our area in regards to
> classes. I
> would look into classes offered in the Whites (or even Berkshires) by
> the
> AMC. I've never taken a class with the EMS school, but after some of
> the
> lies and BS I've been fed by their sales staff, I would not go to them
> for
> advice or instruction.

To be fair I don't think that the staff at the climbing school has
much if anything to do with the staff at their retail stores. In fact
other than outfitters on the AT, I pretty much ignore the advice of
clerks at retail outfitters--unless they happen to be ex thru-hikers!

For example, I stopped by a store the other day to see the new Gregory
G pack.  I asked the clerk what the recommended max weight was for the
pack and he said "oh, maybe 60 lbs.".  Hah!