[pct-l] tarp on JMT and mosquitoes

> Don't underestimate those mosquitoes and what they do to your
> mind. They . . .
> could cause you more grief than anything else you will
> encounter. So, use what you want, but be prepared. If you are

Absolutely true. On our 1977 thruhike, we encountered lots of adverse
conditions, but only one thing on the entire trip ever made us think of
quitting: the mosquitos in southern OR. Drove us crazy as we ran down
the trail, flailing our arms to brush 'em away. Even worse at night if
we couldn't find a place big enough set up our four-man tent (a 12-pound
REI Grand Hotel--state of the art in '77!), because the damned things
would buzz our ears all night long and it was too warm to hunker down in
the sleeping bags. The night at Snow Lakes still brings back painful
memories over 25 years later.

Fortunately for us, the mosquitos started abating before we reached the
breaking point.

If you get to Oregon at the height of the mossie season, here's a
survival tip: Swim. The shallow lakes of southern OR are warm, yet
refreshing--and the mosquitos can't get you while you're under water.

Carl
One of the 1977 Kelty Kids
http://pct77.org/reunion