[pct-l] Sleeping with a Bear Cannister

> topics.  It seems simple to me... either take a cannister -
> or not.  If you are careful - eat early and hike on, avoid
> civilization, take pains to hang food adequately or sleep
> high ( in altitude) -  you will almost certainly be OK.  If
> you DO lose your food - take heart, you probably will not
> starve to death.  The most difficult place to get out of,

No Way/StoneDancer:

The issue is not your personal inconvenience should a bear take your
food. The problem is that bears learn from their successes, and a bear
who nabs your food is also going to be a problem for other hikers. Also,
at some point the bear is likely to be killed, which diminishes the
wilderness experience for all of us and ultimately alters the ecosystem.

Whether you believe the solution is canisters, stealth camping, hanging,
Draconian penalties for people who don't carry canisters, Pocket Rocket
slingshots, or fasting, we should all agree on one point: it's essential
for the longterm health of the bears and the hiking community that we
don't let the bears get our food. (You may now resume the regularly
scheduled debates about which is the effective solution.)