[pct-l] Re: Temperatures

At 04:53 PM 1/27/03, you wrote:
>Yikes, Brick.  What were your specific coping techniques?
>
>*       Long break in early afternoon under a tarp?
No - too much heat radiated from the tarp.

>*       Drink frequently, with salt replacement?
yes

>*       Sponge water over face and neck occasionally?
not enough water available to waste it like that.

>*       Hike with umbrella?
No. My umbrella shredded in the chaparral about 300 miles earlier

>*       Move more slowly to generate less heat?
No. That doesn't work. the heat comes from the sun, not from body movement

I rested in some shade I found for a few of the hottest hours, then hiked
in the dark as late as I could. I think I did about 50 that day/night, but
I started at 6am, and stopped at 4am. The next day I started the climb up
into the Piutes after a long leisurely morning at the trough at Cottonwood
creek.

--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com