[pct-l] phone cards

--

Jen:
The days of collect calling are over. In Saied Valley N Cal, my favorite ph=
one card wouldn't work. A collect call would have cost $13.
My favorite phone card is from www.TEL3.com  They offer two plans. The firs=
t you pay $1.95 per month and pay $0.039/min. Or pay $3.95/month and get th=
e week with the lowest amount of calling Free. ( This is probably not a goo=
d option for a Thruhiker who may be away from a phone for a week on the tra=
il, or in Oregon where calls are best made from cell phones, where a card i=
s of no use.)
Benefits:
1) The messages on the card are friendly and not rude and crass as with an =
MCI card for example.
2) You can call from home (and from 4 other numbers that you can choose, an=
d change, via WWW, )  without having to enter you account number and  pin #=
. Just call the 800 number and dial away.
3) You can enter upto 100 2 digit speed dial numbers. 01 is  dad, 02 is mom=
 etc.
4) you can access via www detailed call logs, showing what number you calle=
d and for how many minutes.
5) There is a $0.49 extra charge for a call from a payphone, but you can hi=
t ## to make another long distance call without paying another $0.49. (Some=
times the ## did not work for me.)
6) When you pre-pay $25 (when opening account)  you get 250 minutes free.
7) Calls to W Europe UK, NL, Germany 7 cents per min.
8) you can use your home phone number as your account number, easy to remem=
ber.
Call the at 800-482 4459  if you tell them my account number 510 526 2648 I=
 will get some free minutes. You need to have US address to sign up.
I tried to use One box, send and receive email via phone via 800 number, un=
fortunately I could not get it to work nor could their customer service dep=
artment tell me what I was doing wrong (if anything) and it has taken me 8 =
months to get them to stop charging me and now they are even talking about =
getting me a refund. STAY AWAY.

 Jen Schaeffer <sprout896@hotmail.com> wrote:Hello all -

Anybody have a favorite way of staying in touch with home while thru-hiking=
?
I'm wondering if folks have used phone cards or collect calling and which
worked better.

You can email offline if you'd like.

Thanks in advance.

sprout