[pct-l] Bear deterrence thoughts - moth balls

Re:  moth balls

I heard about using mothballs as bear deterrence in the early 70's. Was fro=
another backpacker who did a lot of summer trips up in Alaska.

I tried them once -- had them in a mesh bag which I hung with the food sack=
s and
carried the moth balls in a plastic container while on the trail. NO proble=
with bears, we were also camped on a ridge away from the common camping are=
as.
Problem was our food started to smell like and sort of taste like moth ball=
s. So
did I use too many moth balls or wrong technique? I don't know.

My 2=A2. YMWV! HYOH.

John