[pct-l] Re: Thrill seeking and water caches (Ben Armstrong)

A WORD OF WARNING to potential northbound thru-hikers:

If you are tied in to this PCT-L network and
especially if you visit trail angels or the ADZ party,
you will hear a lot of information regarding water
caches.  You may even see a list of where to expect
water to be cached in Southern California.

What you need to know is that you cannot count on
water being at these locations.  Despite the wonderful
and generous efforts of those that stock the caches,
there is a distinct possibility that you may reach a
cache only to find it empty.  So, do not bank on it -
you can put yourself in real danger.

There were four major water cache locations in 2000
where the water was either completely gone or nearly
so, and there was not enough to resupply oneself the
next 20 or so miles to the next source.

I look at the caches as bonuses.  Like a trail angel
leaving chips and beer by the trail - it's great if
it's there, Magic!  But if it's not, you should not
notice.  The danger is not at Scissors Crossing or
other areas near major roads or towns where a thirsty
hiker can get help quickly.  The danger is finding
oneself far from help with no water in severe heat.

I'm remembering a very bad day in the San Felipe Hills
when a large group of northbounders had passed through
the area within a 2-day window.  When I arrived at
this cache, I found over 50 one-gallon jugs empty, and
many thru-hikers lying on the ground in the 100-degree
shade, moaning and worrying about what they were going
to do.  It was still a long way to Barrel Springs, and
the cache was apparently serviced via a rutted dirt
road similarly far off the main highway.  In other
words, it was a long hot walk to reach water.

If you reach a cache with no reserves of water, you
are gambling with your health out there.  Be very
careful and conservative.  Even if several people tell
you that a cache is definately there, carry enough to
get you to the next natural source in case there is
not a cache.  Use the cache as a way to camel a few
extra liters.

My personal rule of thumb was to carry all the water I
needed for natural water source-resupplies and treat
the cache like a bonus.  I only took from the cache
what I could drink there on the spot, leaving as much
as I could for those behind me.  I saw so many hikers
relying solely on caches that I was actually
frightened for their well-being.

If you are wise, there is no softening of the
northbounder due to water caches.  Because, if the
northbounder counts on the water caches, that hiker is
going to find themselves in trouble or, at least,
terribly thirsty at some point, an experience that
will definately harden a person walking through the
desert!

Also, I thank the water cache angels who continue this
service with no reward I can see except this:  there
is nothing more touching than finding that some
complete stranger has made the effort to bring water
out to a desert trail just so that you have an easier
time!  How remarkable is that?

Nocona