[pct-l] Thrill seeking and water caches

--
In a message dated 1/17/2003 12:00:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
reynolds@ilan.com writes:

> The Sierra Club maintains a stash midway along the San Felipe Hills. This is
> a 22 mile waterless stretch that typically leaves the thruhiker seriously
> parched at Barrel Springs.

Meadow Ed left a stash 6 miles from  Barrel Springs in '99.  At Least I think
it was Meadow Ed, it was in a large large plastic whiskey bottles!

I had carried so much water on this stretch, I ended up replenishing his
stash and cruised the final miles into Barrel Springs.  I had a fairly mild
spring that year.  Although it was hot, it wasn't all that hot and I didn't
need much more than a gallon a day hiking.  If I planned on staying between
sources, I carried a little more for dinner, but never ran out and never
depended on caches.  I saved those, when they were available,  for cameling
up.

Your water consumption needs may vary, plan accordingly.

Sly