[pct-l] Dowse the Flames. Hike and Share your stories.

--
In a message dated 1/10/2003 5:28:10 AM Eastern Standard Time,
saskia.home@wanadoo.nl writes:

> I just saw on the TV a story about a guy who wants to jog from Lisbon
> (Portugal) to St Petersburg (Russia). He was saying that he will
> consistently do days of about 40 miles. The interviewer asked him what
> the maximum distance would be and he said that 'the human body cannot
> do more than 100km' (65 miles approx.) I don't know why he said that,
> is there any evidence that there is a true maximum the human body can
> bear?

saskia,

I'm not sure of the true maximum, but they have ultra marathons of 100 miles
or more.  Fiddlehead and Pieps ran the Leadville 100 last year during their
attempt to hike a calender year Triple Crown.

 <A HREF="http://www.leadvilletrail100.com/LT100run.html";>Leadville Trail 100 Mile Run Main Page</A>

Not for my own hike, I hike up to about 15 miles comfortably, not much>
> more. Still I enjoy my hike so much more going ultralight, by the way,
> it is not just about making more miles. It is also about looking up and
> around without a pack in your neck, about balancing on a log during
> creek crossings, about enjoying being out instead of shutting
> everything outside of your tent at night... And I really like trying
> out something different.

Yea!  An ultralighter that puts things in prespective and pleasure ahead of
mileage...

My one knock of ultralight hiking is that most hike the trails so fast,
they're sitting home and/or back at work, while others are still on the
trail, enjoying themselves.

Sly