[pct-l] Yee gawdz, get ahold of yourselves! Or, smallberries speaks andall listen in a state of rapture.

--
Smallberrries tries to assert his opinion and I get called a "troll" which
is demeaning, but more importantly, indicates to me that my post should be

I gave my opinion on safety, footwear, dress appropriate for varied and and
unpredictable changes in climate, my opinion on ultralight (directed at sol=
trekkers, as if one has a partner it is a good  technique, if you know what
you are doing), weight management (keeping pack weight down to critical
essentials) and equipment. I directed my comments to fellow listers because
I noted a litany of bad experiences with heat, feet, poison oak, logistics
and what I consider unsafe and poorly thought out practices on a long and
difficult trek.

Perhaps I am wrong. Maybe the PCT is long but not difficult. But I doubt it
after studying the topos, seeing some tapes, reading journals and this list=
,
and discussing it with two friends who thru-hiked it in 1985.

Perhaps the deaths of three of my friends over the past 20 years-one in the
Shawangunks, one in Tuckerman=B9s Ravine, and one in the Catskills (very
experienced all)- motivates me to urge folks to be wary of the plunging int=
another world as if it were another form of our privileged lives of comfort
in our society, because it is not at all. I did not lecture anyone. I gave
my opinion. If you feel lectured, you must also assume you know all there i=
to know. I suggest it is better to learn from one another=B9s experiences o=
this list.

Finally, the number of people trekking has increased 150% over the past 5
years (see Sierra Club, Green Mountain Club, ADK, AMC, and Outward Bound, a=
well as sales of big packs, boots, crampons, technical gear, etc. You don=
=B9t
need to =B3guess=B2 when the facts are readily available) and shows no sign=
 of
abating. I will not bore you with this topic anymore right now, but when I
observe people extolling the virtues of being a jerk to others, I reserve m=
right to  comment, as others may think it is good path to wander down. I
have no problem with anyone being a jerk when trekking (I often am) but I
don=B9t spread the word to others to risk their bodies as I might. So cool
out, and try to be smart so you can trek until senile dementia kicks in. Oh
yeah, don=B9t call me names. It does not reflect well upon your character o=
intelligence. Thanks, Marc Adin.

=B3This list goes to to folks of all ages, experience and
condition. Care of your feet is a trekkers number one priority.=B2

Marc =B3smallberries=B2 Adin, 6 January 2003