[pct-l] Random PCT Questions

Gary Wright wrote:

> Is it "safe" to pack lighter clothing for Campo to Kennedy Meadows and
> then get some warmer clothing before hitting the Sierras? Is it "safe"
> to switch back to lighter clothing after the Sierras?

In both 2001 and 2002, most thru-hikers experienced COLDER weather south
of the Sierras than in the Sierras. From Donner Pass to Cascade Locks, you
can usually count on warm weather.

>  From what I gather, late April starts are typical to avoid getting to
> the Sierra's too early. What other time windows are there for the
> sections beyond the Sierra's?

Washington gets cold and wet in late September to mid October. If you're
unlucky, it could be snow (a blizzard) instead of rain. The risk increases
as October goes on. People argue about when exactly is the cutoff date.

> In a high-snow year, what is/are the typical flip-flop point(s)?

To my knowledge, successful flip-flopping is extremely rare. Washington
only becomes passable in mid to late summer. If it gets a lot of snow,
like in 2002, flip-flopping is almost impossible. When the Sierras get a
lot of snow, most people will skip ahead from Kennedy Meadows (to
Echo Lake perhaps?) instead of flip-flopping. So there are really no
typical flip-flop points.

Fleischman