[pct-l] Random PCT Questions

--
In a message dated 1/6/2003 12:37:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
at2002@earthlink.net writes:

> Do you need to have your passport to get back into the US from Manning?

No, a *birth certificate* and license will do.

> Is it "safe" to pack lighter clothing for Campo to Kennedy Meadows and
> then get some warmer clothing before hitting the Sierras? Is it "safe"
> to switch back to lighter clothing after the Sierras?
>

>From my experience you shouldn't need a change of clothes the entire trail.
I had long sleeves in the desert, went sleeveless in the Sierras, packed a
fleece the entire way, along with a wind breaker/rain jacket.

> Do folks generally use the same sleeping bag the entire trip or switch
> due to seasons and/or elevation? What is the "typical" bag rating on
> the PCT?  15? 20? 30?

20 degree down bag the distance, although on colder nights in WA I slept with
some clothes on occasionally.

> How well do canister stoves (i.e., pocket rocket) work at high
> elevations?  Better/worse than alcohol?

NA  Took a whisperlite internationale and it worked fine.

> From what I gather, late April starts are typical to avoid getting to
> the Sierra's too early. What other time windows are there for the
> sections beyond the Sierra's?

Totally up to the snowpack, you may have to skip sections well before the
Sierras, not just after.

> In a high-snow year, what is/are the typical flip-flop point(s)?

In a HIGH snow year, it depends on your ability or daring, but generally KM.
Of course, if the northern trail also has a HIGH snow year, you may be out of
luck.