[pct-l] Random PCT Questions

----- Original Message -----
From: <Slyatpct@aol.com>
To: <at2002@earthlink.net>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 10:25 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Random PCT Questions

> --
> In a message dated 1/6/2003 12:37:26 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> at2002@earthlink.net writes:
>
> > Do you need to have your passport to get back into the US from Manning?
>
> No, a *birth certificate* and license will do.
Passport works too. :) Just don't take pictures of the border crossings.
That seems to set off the border guards since they tightened the  border
crossings in July 2002.

> > Is it "safe" to pack lighter clothing for Campo to Kennedy Meadows and
> > then get some warmer clothing before hitting the Sierras? Is it "safe"
> > to switch back to lighter clothing after the Sierras?
>
> From my experience you shouldn't need a change of clothes the entire
trail.
> I had long sleeves in the desert, went sleeveless in the Sierras, packed a
> fleece the entire way, along with a wind breaker/rain jacket.
I agree with Sly. We used same clothes for entire PCT. Replaced a leaky rain
jacket in Washington.  But you should be able to ship heavier clothing from
Echo Pass to Washington. Again, it depends on the weather that year.

> > Do folks generally use the same sleeping bag the entire trip or switch
> > due to seasons and/or elevation? What is the "typical" bag rating on
> > the PCT?  15? 20? 30?
>
> 20 degree down bag the distance, although on colder nights in WA I slept
with
> some clothes on occasionally.
 I used 20 degree bag. Marcia used 0 degree bag because she sleeps colder.
We used the same bags the whole way. Washington was wet and cold, but we
rarely got cold in the bags.

> > How well do canister stoves (i.e., pocket rocket) work at high
> > elevations?  Better/worse than alcohol?
>
> NA  Took a whisperlite internationale and it worked fine.
We used the same Gigapower canister stove on PCT and CDT and have had no
problems. Fuel is hard to find, but can be shipped via ground mail. Look in
archives for details.

> > From what I gather, late April starts are typical to avoid getting to
> > the Sierra's too early. What other time windows are there for the
> > sections beyond the Sierra's?
You should consider hitting ADZPCTKO the last weekend of April at Lake
Morena. You'll find lots of experienced PCT hikers, trail angels, and lots
of valuable information. Watch this list for more information in coming
months.

> Totally up to the snowpack, you may have to skip sections well before the
> Sierras, not just after.
>
> > In a high-snow year, what is/are the typical flip-flop point(s)?
> >
> In a HIGH snow year, it depends on your ability or daring, but generally
KM.
> Of course, if the northern trail also has a HIGH snow year, you may be out
of
> luck.
And I heard in 1999 that Oregon and Washington had snow at high elevations
all year. We ran into section hikers in 2000 who were coming back to
complete sections they couldn't (didn't want to ?) complete in 1999.