[pct-l] Time for some lighter conversations

Ok, I'll go out of lurking mode for a moment to pose a lighter topic.
Anyone have an "I can't believe I used to do that" hiking story to share?
You know, something embarrasing that you did before we all became hiking
demi-gods and source-of-all-knowledge lightweight fanatics.

I'll start it off with a couple.  You have to understand that these were
when I was around 14-15 and I was fortunate to be allowed to go on overnight
backbacking trips with friends and no parents ('course that was the early
70s).  Anyway, I used to actually carry this stupid heavy plastic Coleman
water jug - the old kind you'd only see at picnics or car camps.  It held a
lot and had one of those spouts at the bottom for easy pouring.  My arm has
got to be an inch longer from carrying it - yes - I actually hand carried it
while I hiked!!  Well, one particular hike we were coming down a ridge and I
dropped it only to watch in horror as all my water tumbled seemingly miles
down the hillside never to be seen again.  Despite lacking any common sense
for choosing to bring it in the first place,  I did have lady luck on my
side this particular time for about 15 minutes later and seemingly dozens of
switchbacks, there was my obnoxious jug standing right on the trail - seems
it had simply taken a more direct path.

Another time when I was 14 I tried with a friend to make it to Whatum Lake
via Eagle Creek and we got a late start, had heavy packs, and simply
exhausted ourselves.  At the time, I had only actually hiked the section
from where you leave the river and head to the lake only once.  I forgot
that you curve around endless ridges in hopes of seeing the lake.  We never
made it all the way - we were so tired we slept right on the trail because
we couldn't find a single flat spot.  Later that night a troop of boy scouts
came through and literally walked right over us because they didn't really
see us or expect that anyone would actually camp right on the trail!
Needless to say, that was the last time pushed for a "campsite too far".

What does all this have to do with the PCT?  Very little - but, hey, Eagle
Creek is part of the PCT so that will be my excuse.
Your turn to share...
swoosh