[pct-l] Time for some lighter conversations

One of my favorite of "stupid things I've done"...

My second ever backpack trip was with a friend. We were both about 15 and
like many teenagers, a bit rebellious. We decided we wanted to party on our
trip, so we brought some alcohol. We brought a few ounces of vodka and two
40-ounce bottles of beer each. Note that they were in *bottles*, glass,
heavy... Now here comes the really funny part: we opted to hike the whole
11-mile, 3600ft hike in one day. Nothing to it nowadays, but we were out of
shape then and carrying (really) stupid heavy packs. I think I even packed
my "sheepskin" lined denim jacket. Okay, the funny part...we brought no
drinking water nor any snacks to eat while hiking in. I guess we figured we
could go all day fueled by breakfast we had at home. We brought these little
collapsible drinking cups to drink out of the streams. This drinking method
worked fine until we made it to the base of the big elevation push. We took
a break there, exhausted. We eyed and drooled over the sandwich an old man
nearby was eating, but instead we fell asleep. Then we started the hike up
the hill, we didn't know how difficult it was going to be. It was about 90F,
facing the sun with little shade. Soon we were taking breaks every 5
minutes, then every couple minutes. I got so thirsty I considered drinking
one of the beers. My friend had a better idea, we would drink some of his
(20 ounce bottle) saline solution for his contact lenses! Oh, my, how salty
it was, but at least it was wet. Looking back now, it probably wasn't such a
bad idea. Soon our breaks were lasting so long we weren't getting anywhere
and the sun was starting to go down (this was in the middle of summer). We
were extremely hungry besides being thirsty. We decided to cook some of our
dinner right there on the trail (the trail was the only flat spot). I pulled
out the nearly-defrosted pound of ground beef, fired up the Svea and cooked
the meat. Just the meat, no seasoning or anything added. We munched it down
quickly and felt much better. It was the best thing I had eaten in a very
long time. A couple of other backpackers had to step over us as we cooked on
the narrow trail. We packed up and found a *barely* moving trickle of water
about 30 yards up the trail. If we hadn't stopped to eat the meat, I
probably would have lapped it up like a dog, but we passed on it. Another 30
yards up the trail we found a slightly more moving trickle of water, enough
that I could get my cup under it. I knew it probably wasn't a good idea to
drink from such a slow trickle of water, but I didn't care. Another hour
later we were finally at our destination and campsite. My friend and I still
talk about that story and get a good laugh at ourselves.

Jason
Seattle, WA