[pct-l] The subjectiveness of a thru-hike

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

I think that last message was well said.

Lately there has been much debate about advantages of this type of shelter, or
that one, to use poles or not, down vs. synthetic...  In the larger picture it
doesn't matter.   A wise person once said "you take what you've got, and do
with it what you can"

As for unsuccessful or successful attempts at anything, its all in your head.  Many
times I have set out on a week long trip with goals in mind, or prepared for a
triathlon (my other passion) with a specifc time I must reach, but in almost
every instance, once I'm in the moment, my goals change.  Success is a
relative term.  My point of view on an "unsuccessful summit attempt" is 'I was
just checking it out for next time' (the mountain sure as hell isn't going
anywhere)  Besides, more often than not, deciding to turn back when the summit
is in your reach takes more courage, resolve and humility than most people
have.

I would also like to tip my hat to anyone who even considers thru-hiking the
PCT, AT, or any of the other long-distance trails.  In this world there are
people who float through life and people that persue a life worth living.  I
consider myself one of the latter, and find it both comforting and reassuring
that this whole big beautiful world isn't being overlooked.

I think I'm going to go for a hike now.

-Jeff

"Its a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy,.... let's go exploring!"

MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: Click Here[1]