[pct-l] The subjectiveness of a thru-hike

At this year's 25 year reunion of 1977 "thru-hikers" we all shared our slides
and stories and it became clear that few of us could actually claim that they
walked the ENTIRE way.  A few caught rides to escape the snow bound southern
Sierra, some jumped on a train(!!!!!!) for a convenient trip across the
desert, others hitchhiked out to a food drop and back in at a point further
north.

Now, all but one or two, who quit in Oregon or southern Washington due to a
long cold rain storm, walked about 98 to 99 percent of the way or more.  We
all call ourselves "thru-hikers".  Call us unpure if you desire, but we don't
and wont care.  We all had the great priviledge to experience the PCT in an
early state of organization and purity that few have experienced or ever
will.  Anything else is moot.

IMHO,

Greg "Strider" Hummel
(who took a couple of short rides)