[pct-l] Cooking in tent

Okay, more reminiscing from an old coot from the era when 20 miles was a
long day...

We used to cook in our tent all the time. None of this mamby-pamby candle
stuff either--we used our Svea and MSR white gas stoves in the tent.
(Whenever possible, we'd hold them outside to light them, but if that was
too inconvenient we'd flare 'em up inside.) Tents in those days, in fact,
had a cookhole--a zippered opening in the floor so that you could put the
stove on bare earth/snow/groundcloth instead of the tent floor. Despite an
occasional fireball in our Grand Hotel (the model name of the 11-1/2 pound
four-man tent we carried for the three of us), we never burned it down.

Another group from 1977 was the aptly named Unfortunates. They also started
off with a Grand Hotel--but it didn't make it to Canada.