From: Decker, Luke [mailto:mus352@spu.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2002 5:17 PM
To: 'PCT '
Subject: [pct-l] packs: comfort vs weight

Fellow hikers,
I am curious to hear your opinions on backpacks.  I am planning a thru-hike
in 03 and will attempt to go as light as possible due to a late launch date
but on most gear will not go as light as jardine does :).
Recently I have been told that your pack is the only thing you DON'T want to
sacrifice comfort for decreased wieght.  Is this true?  What types of packs
have most thru-hikers used (volume capacity, wieght,
internal/external/nonframed, etc.)?  On a hike such as the pct what are the
key qualities I should or should not be looking for in a pack?
thanks for the help.

.luke