[pct-l] packs: comfort vs weight

I have never done a thru-hike, although I have done several hundred
miles on the PCT in the sierras.  I have done it both ways: heavy
traditional pack with total weight at 50-65lbs, and I have done it
the ultralight way with total pack weight around 25 lbs.  IMHO, there
is no comparison, the ultralight method is just nore enjoyable and
less strenuous, yet you still cover more ground.

Having said that, Ultralight is not for everyone.  You will have to
try it to see if you like it. If you do end up liking it, there are
many options for a suitable pack.  here are tow great ones here:
14oz, 4600 c.i pack:
http://www.gvpgear.com/g4.asp

12 oz, 3500 c.i. pack:
http://members.tripod.com/lwgear/lwg.html

You can also make your own ultralight pack.

If you stick with the tradidional bomb-proof commercial packs, I
highly recomend Osprey.  They are way under-rated.  I have three
Ospreys (4 including my new fanny pack) that I use mainly for
climbing, and I love all of them.

Listen to everyone else on the list also: try out the packs and make
sure you get one that fits your torso.  A good wilderness equipment
shop will fit the metal stays in the pack specifically to your body.
This is a tremedous help in making the pack comfortable.  If you can,
take a bunch of your gear to the shop and put it in the pack.  Shops
usually want to stuff the pack with sandbags or some not an accurate
representation of how the weight will be distributed.  Also, REI
rents packs, which is a good way to try different models out in real
conditions before you buy. Borrowing from firends is another good way
to try stuff out. (if you live near houston, you can borrow one of
mine).

hope that helps.

peace,
dude