[pct-l] Climate Change Indicators

This is the first time I've posted to this list, just been hanging out
gaining PCT knowledge.  But, I thought I'd post my two cents about global
warming/ice ages etc...  The last glacial maximum (the big one with the huge
ice sheets that covered most of Canada, cut Alaska in half, and extended
down into the continental US) ended about 10-12K years ago.  This was the
last major glaciation on the Earth.  At the end of it, many large mammal
species went extinct - Woolly Mammoth, Sabertooth Tiger, American Lion,
Mastodons, Giant Sloths, Steppe bison, etc...

This extinction factor is the major concern, other than losing their
beachfront condos, for scientist worried about rapid global climate change.
Change is happening more rapidly than species, that already have small
population sizes, can adapt.  A perfect example is the Polar Bear, they have
undergone a significant loss in population size over the last 100 years.
The primary cause:  bears depend on pack ice for hunting seals.  Less pack
ice = less bears.  This scenario is possible for many other species, not
just for charismatic megafauna.

Plus temperatures will be more extreme at higher latitudes, with places such
as Alaska (where I live) exhibiting the greatest increases.  Although, it
will only be a few degrees warmer in Texas, in Alaska, Siberia, Canada, and
Antarctica the temperature could increase by as much as 20F.  This could be
catastrophic for everyone.  Way more water in the oceans (due to melting of
polar ice caps), more instability in weather patterns, and mass extinctions.
  Basically the same things that happened 12,000 years ago.
Christy