[pct-l] Global Warming

In a message dated 6/6/02 2:40:56 AM, Hiker97@aol.com writes:

<< I hear that the ice fields that Sir Edmond Hilary crossed out of his Mt.
Everest base camp in 1953 are now a two hour walk from his original base
camp.  Seems the ice has retreated that far since 1953.  I guess global
warming is really real.  I wonder what the snow levels and other indicators
would be like in the Sierras today compared to the early 1950s or John Muir's
days in the Range of Light.  Happy trails, Switchback

I climbed a mountain in Canada once and took a picture from the summit with
the same view as one taken there in 1920. The view is of glaciers leading up
to the Columbia Icefield. Above a certain line not a thing has changed --
same snowfields, same bare spots, same glaciers. Below that line vast amounts
of glacier are completely gone. My conclusion? The mean annual freezing level
has risen several thousand feet since the early 1900s. Why? The debate rages
on, but there is much more CO2 around now than then
   So why do people think that trees have anything to do with global warming?
Isn't it true that the amount of CO2 it absorbs thru photosynthesis is equal
to the amount of CO2 that it eventually releases thru decay/burning? The tree
doesn't create or destroy the CO2, it simply borrows it--- OOPS wrong chat
list - thought this was the Photosynthesis = Combustion Technologies chat
list