[pct-l] Water Cache - San Felipe Hills

Attention: Class of 2002

On April 14, members of the San Diego Chapter of the Sierra Club (including
members from the North County Group) established the initial water cache in
the San Felipe Hills (Section A) for PCT Thru-hikers.

The cache is located on the PCT just a few feet north of the third gate
approximately 13 trail miles from Scissors Crossing. (See map A-12, section
2, near the top of the page.) The cache consists of gallon jugs of water
secured by a nylon cord. After use, please secure the empty jugs using the
nylon cord to prevent wind-blown litter.

This cache was initially stocked with 68 gallons of water and will be
replenished on a calendar basis, as we have no way of knowing when all the
jugs have been emptied. This amount should provide for the needs of 125-130
hikers. In consideration of hikers who follow you, please limit individual
use to 2 liters of water. (Barrel Springs is just 10 miles north.)

Note that it is possible that some hikers may find the jugs empty when they
arrive. Should one find that the water jugs are empty; there is off-trail
water in Grapevine Canyon at the W-W (read 'W bar W') Ranch.

To reach the W-W Ranch, follow the obvious spur trail leading east into
Grapevine Canyon. The spur trail is about 10 yards north of the water cache
and branches off to the right (east). It is blocked by a row of rocks and
sticks to indicate "not PCT," I suppose, but has a sign which reads "water."
The signed PCT continues due north from this point.

For water, follow the spur trail about 0.9 miles east to a tall, square fence
post by a jeep road. If there are no water jugs by the fence post (we left
10+ gallons there too), follow the jeep road to your left until you pass
through a wide gate (10-feet or so). Follow the fence line to your left to
reach the caretaker's house. Three (or more) barking dogs will let your
presence be known. The caretaker, if in residence, will probably come out to
meet you. Both the owner (Richard) and the caretaker (David) are aware of the
PCT and have given their permission for hikers to come on private property
for water.

Hikers should return to the PCT to camp unless specifically invited by the
owner or caretaker to camp in Grapevine Canyon.

Have a safe hike north,
Charlie Jones (for the PCT Section of the San Diego Chapter of the Sierra
Club)

Thanks to my Sierra Club friends (listed below) for helping establish this
water cache in the San Felipe Hills.

Terri Astle
Jaye Gleyzal
Chris Landa