[pct-l] Re: New On-Trail List?

John,

I'm really trying get brain on what kinds of information you think you'd
need that would alter the course of your hike.

One of the purposes of planning in advanced is to prepare yourself mentally
and physically for a wide range of environments and conditions that you're
likely to encounter on the trail. If you've prepared well, then once on the
hike there are really not that many issues that need to be resolved.

The only real information you seemed to be looking to resolve via email
seemed to be if you should carry and ice ax or not. If in doubt carry it. On
most years you only need to haul it in the Sierra's. Aside from changing out
a pack that didn't fit right, the only equipment change I made on the entire
trip was to pick up an ice ax at Kennedy Meadows and drop it off in
Yosemite. That whole section I only used it once and didn't need it then.

The trail conditions list made available by the PCTA is nice but only really
applicable to section hikers who are heading out for a few day's on the
trail. And the conditions reported on it are only as good as the information
provided by hikers as they pass through. Most of whom don't want to take the
time to fill out the online conditions report.

In order for a trail conditions email to be useful, you really want those
ahead to report back to you on what they've found. That's nice four you but
what do they get out of it?

I'm not saying you shouldn't to create a new list. Hell, create 3 or 4 if
you want. I've got a list server and it only takes a few minutes to setup a
list. So it's not that tough. Just don't expect to rely on the list for
anything more than a bit of diversion or fun.

-Fallingwater