[pct-l] Re: camera

 > > In one of his books, Colin Fletcher recounted the
 > > great freedom he discovered
 > > the trip his camera broke and he could just enjoy
 > > the moment without attempting
 > > to record it.

However, he INTENDED to take pictures.  He included the camera in his pack.

Memory is a strange thing.  We remember all that we remember, sometimes even,
as time passes, a few things that never happened.  And we remember nothing
that we have forgotten, by definition.

Take out the worn maps from your long hike and find the spots you've marked
on them where you camped each night.  You will remember every evening there
on the trail, the campsite itself, the weather, the friends, much of the day
that brought you to that spot.  Leaf through the photo album (or CD) and
relive the progression of days, the beauty of the changing scenery.  Without
these things, you would still remember it was a great hike.  But you will
have forgotten, after a time, the joy of that noontime siesta in a spot of
shade while crossing the Anza-Borrego Desert.

Make this effort to write in your log, mark your maps and shoot your
pictures, not for someone else but for yourself.  You will soon be climbing
out of Stehekin, knowing that you will be in Manning Park in a couple days
and there will be no more trail to follow.  The peaks and valleys of the
Pasayten Wilderness are a fitting end to your spectacular journey and you'll
feel a wrenching sadness that you may never pass this way again.  As this
summer ends, or other summers down the line, you'll be thankful you preserved
these memories.