[pct-l] San Diego Area Hiking

PCT near San Diego:  My personal favorites

best:

Devil's Slide Trail from Idylwild to PCT to
summit of San Jacinto: all day hike, totally epic,
summertime is perfect but busy, get there early, 2 hours away.
about a 12 mile round trip.

Spitler Peak or Fobes Ranch spur trails from Hwy 74
up to PCT and around the back of Spitler, Apache and
Red Tahquitz.  Epic, epic hikes along knife edge
trail on the desert divide ridges and shear drop offs.
scary vertical chute back there in snow!  summertime perfect,
and DEAD - nobody back there really, 2 hours away.
15 - 20 mile round trips - awesome !!!
(some of the steepest PCT I've been on is back there...)

My fav. non-PCT hike in the area is summiting San Gorgonio
(11,500 ft.) via the Vivian Creek trail - 15 miles round trip
5000 ft. gain summertime perfect but busy - 2 1/2 hours away
Another good option here with nobody on it (permits) is
Momyer Trail to San Bernadino Divide Trail to Summit to Vivian
to road to Momyer trailhead - 23 mile epic epic hike....

good:

San Diego Area:  Boulder Oaks to Mt. Laguna 14 miles one way..
nice rock formations - Long Canyon is particularly nice

Loop 1: Mt. Laguna Sunset Trail / PCT loop - 10 miles -
nice Anza Borrego views 1 hour away..Starts at Information Station

Loop 2: Mt. Laguna Nobel Canyon Trail (Penny Pines) to
Indian Creek Trail to PCT - nice desert views - 10 miles
1 hour away - Starts at Penny Pines

Border to Lake Morena - 20 miles one way.... pretty nice,
can't beat the novelty - lots of trash etc.....

Lake Cuyamaca to San Felipe Valley - very nice descent
thru some unique transitional areas - about 18 miles round trip.

steve courtway