[pct-l] San Diego Area Hiking

At 12:22 PM 3/19/02, bryan jacobson wrote:
>1. Are there areas of the PCT close to San Diego that would be recommended
>that
>time of year, or would they be too hot?

Some of the PCT around Mt Laguna would be fine that time of year. About 50
minutes from downtown. The PCT/Big Laguna trail loop is a nice 10 mile loop
in the pines
http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/US_National_Forest/ca/hik4_cle.HTM

>2. If not the PCT, can somebody recommend some other good hikes in the area?
>I'm willing to travel 2-3 hours.

My personal favorite in the San Diego area is the Noble Canyon trail, which
connects with the PCT near Mt Laguna. Much of it is in the shade along a
creek, and it goes from 4000 to 6000 ft so it is fairly cool. About 40
minutes from downtown
http://www.gorp.com/gorp/resource/US_National_Forest/ca/hik3_cle.HTM

There are also several hundred miles of trial in Cuyamaca state park
http://www.cuyamaca.statepark.org/ About 40 minutes from downtown

--
Brick Robbins                       mailto:brick@fastpack.com