[pct-l] sleeping quilt

>(1) does anyone have experience with such a setup; and (2) does anyone
>know if such a setup is commercially available?
>
>John

  I use a similar setup and have been very happy with it.  I did not include
side flaps such as you're considering since I generally sleep in a small
one-man tent.  The narrow width of the tent is enough to ensure that the
long edges of the quilt stay gathered around my body.  To keep the quilt
securely around my feet, I folded its bottom edge in half and stitched the
two halves together to make a sort of pocket.  For ground insulation I use a
half-length pad of Ensolite foam for my torso and (if necessary) rain gear
spread between the ground cloth and the tent floor for my lower half.  I
tend to be a warm sleeper, so this is really all the insulation I need.
I've kept comfortable with this setup in as cold a climate as Mt. Shasta in
May, when three of us spent a gusty night camped in a snow pit near Helen
Lake.
  I don't know whether a quilt of this or any type is commercially
available.  You might try GoLite (www.golite.com?), since they manufacture
products using Ray Jardine's designs, and it was Ray after all who
popularized the idea of the sleeping quilt.  On the other hand, sewing your
own is much cheaper and extremely easy to do, even if you're a complete
klutz with a sewing machine like I am.  (I get thrown into deeper fits of
all-consuming rage from sewing machines than from old lawnmowers.)

For tips and instructions, refer to the appendix in Jardine's book or go to
http://www.backpacking.net/ and check out the Make-Your-Own-Gear page.