[pct-l] sleeping quilt

I can confirm that Golite does indeed manufacture a sleeping quilt.  It is
made with Polarguard 3D seeing as Mr. Jardine sees little merit in down.
RAB (an english manufacturer ?) has a "top bag" that is good to 30*F and
weighs 17oz.  It does have that flap of material that would hug a sleeping
pad if you like.  I believe Macpac also has two quilt-style sleeping bags.
They're out of New Zealand -so shipping could eat up the bill.  If you're
interested in seeing free instructionos on making your own fully-baffled
down quilt, I've taken the liberty of publishing a complete tutorial (with
pictures and descriptions) at my website
(http://jschool.troyst.edu/~jeremy).  Just look for the 17oz quilt link.
The instructions are also posted for free at www.thru-hiker.com and at
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html in the sleeping systems category.
I've used the quilt quite a few times, and I've found that even though it
does keep me warm down to about 20*F, I prefer a sleeping bag under
freezing.  Why?  Because I hate waking up half-untucked and somewhat
chilled and have to wait about 20 minutes to become "toasty" again.  But
for above freezing, there's nothing better or lighter.  Good Hunting

Hungry Howie & The New Sushi

Life moves pretty fast.  If you don't stop and look araound every once in
a while, you could miss it. -Ferris Bueller