[pct-l] Re: Southern Section and Immigrant Worries

Hi John,

"illegals" are not "invading" the US. Talk about comparing apples and
oranges. Or do you think the Pilgrim Fathers also invaded the US?
People are in search of a better life. The fact that they don't have
one at home has much to do with the way Western governments have
conducted their foreign policy, their economic policy and their
defence policy. Comparing the nazi army with the "illegals" trying to
enter the US is the worst kind of comparing apples and oranges.
Please, the nazis did not come to the Netherlands to find a better
life for them and their children. Or maybe you feel that killing off
Jews and crossing a border are on a par?

By the way, my parents nor grandparents did not come from the
Netherlands. I am sure they would have wished the nazis to stay out.
I am sure they would have liked to be able to enter any European
country that shut them out... My grandparents actually tried to get
out of Germany, more than into any country. Much like the "illegals"
are trying to get away from a situation that does not give them any
perspective. Maybe you feel that I have no right to speak as I was
born in the Netherlands but my parents are not.

I reacted especially to the sentence where one of the former posters
said that when someone does something illegal, then they might be
prone to hurt you. I thought that was very short-sighted. Not all of
our laws are made to avoid hurting other people. Crossing a border
will never rate as 'hurting another person' in my book.

The fact that we are calling people "illegal" says much about the way
we view them, no longer as people but as some kind of phenomenon or
as numbers.

Does Europe have problems with "illegals"? Sure, and I am working as
hard as I can to make sure that people, and especially people in
power, will see that trying to keep out people with nowhere to turn
(whether that is due to political or economic reasons, and who said
economics is not political...) is in the long run no solution. I am
trying to start a discussion over here on the possibilities of
another kind of migration policy. When people are dying because they
want a chance for a better future, I think our governments are doing
something terribly wrong.

CU
Saskia