[pct-l] re pertaining to dogs

At 4:08 PM -0800 4/5/01, The Dude wrote:
>sorry for the late post...
>
>I completely believe that is what is written onthe back of the permit.  I
>also believe that dogs may discurbe the ecology of the area.  HOWEVER, I
>do NOT believe that is the reason that they are not allowed.  I belive
>that they are not allowed because many people who don't like dogs are loud
>about it and rangers/park service just don't want to hear all the
>headaches, so they are forbidden.
>
>The ecology excuse is just an easy excuse... kinda like saying "I can't
>becuase my wife won't let me."   If the ecology issue was a serious
>concern they wouldn't allow horses.  They have a much greater impact on
>the ecology and are not indiginous to the area.

On the PCT, horses do not run off and chase/kill squirrels and other
animals, dogs do. So I can believe that.   Also, horses stay on trail,
dogs do not- they dig everywhere , etc etc...I think there is substantail
reason. (ALL dogs do not do these things- most dogs do at one time
or another on trail).