[pct-l] Re: Southern Section and Immigrant Worries

At 9:23 AM -0800 4/5/01, Saskia wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>"illegals" are not "invading" the US. Talk about comparing apples and
>oranges. Or do you think the Pilgrim Fathers also invaded the US?

There are proper channels to enter this country. It is no longer the
time of the pilgrims, so one cannot make that analogy logically.

There are over 11,000,000 persons that have entered this country
through illegal methods (sneaking across borders to take up
residence in someone else's back yard is illegal no matter how you
try to spin it!).

Take a look at some of the houses n Borrego and Warner Springs and
nearer the Border- they have iron bars and gates on them. There
is a real danger...every year there are numerous stories of BG getting
shot, illegal immigrants getting shot, etc.

>I reacted especially to the sentence where one of the former posters
>said that when someone does something illegal, then they might be
>prone to hurt you. I thought that was very short-sighted.

It is short sighted to think they will not IMO!!! There is a danger-
They are illegals for the same reason (breaking  major laws)
- and are desperate and MAY hurt you-- after all - they ***are***
running from the Law and the Police and the BG and everyone
/anyone else that can report there position. They are breaking the Laws of the
US and know darn well they are. They are not out for some Sunday
stroll on the PCT- if they get caught they go to jail and/or fined and
deported. They are criminals on the run and they WILL hurt you if
they have to -- to stay free... How do they know you don't have a cell
phone or will report them at the next phone.

>The fact that we are calling people "illegal" says much about the way
>we view them, no longer as people but as some kind of phenomenon or
>as numbers.

Nope. Illegal is illegal. You are not just a little but pregnant here- if you
speed above the Limit you are doing an illegal act. See above. They ARE
BREAKING the law. Period.

20% of this countries growth in the last year is due to unregistered
immigrants.
Illegals for short. Just a short-hand of speech.

They are doing something wrong = welfare roles bloated, phoney ideas
to get food stamps, public assistance, etc. Systems we set up for citizens
of our own country. They take money out of my tax pocket which is
being ripped off enuf already. THAT is doing significant damage to me.

With the billions of people in the world today we do not have a mandate
to feed them. We have almost 300,000,000 in our country and we are
being polluted to death, cities-National Parks, the trails- u name it-- are
over crowded
and US Systems are stretched to near the breaking point.  The average
commute is Silicon Valley is now 1 hour. Up from 20 minutes 15 years
ago.

Illegals are not the entirely of our problems nor a severe problem on the
trail.. just a potentially big one. Going north in a few days travel away
from the border minimizes it.

S0 - Be aware of who is around you- just normal caution
like being in New York in the evening- just a little careful on
the trail near Mexico.

PS

Disclaimers:

1- No sexism intended to females regarding pregnancy. Homo Sapiens are not
the only species to bear young.

2- No harm intended regarding New York- I love the town!

3- All other non PC statements are used illustratively only.