[pct-l] re pertaining to dogs

>I remember hearing horror
> stories in past about dogs having the pads on their paws rubbed raw from
the
> hours and hours on the trail, but they could just be stories and not fact.
> Any other thoughts?

I'd bet it's true. I wouldn't expect a house dog to easily make the
transition to hours of walking on the trail. Iditarod mushers spend a lot of
time caring for their dogs' feet. If you plan to take your dog, start
conditioning him/her early.

Many years ago I took a dog on a two week trip in the Sierras. He carried
food in his own pack. By a week into the trip he was really hating that pack
(they were poorly designed in those days) and I discovered the hair on his
chest was scraped off and the skin rubbed raw. Poor guy. I carried his food
the rest of the way.

karen