[pct-l] southern california sections and the immigrant stigma

> I'm starting a multi-year plan to dayhike those parts=20
> of the trail that can be dayhiked... starting at Campo=20
> in the first week of April.  But isn't very encouraging=20
> about safety, to say the least.

I am a San Diego native and have been hiking the PCT and=20
other "drug runner" trails around here for years.

Attention PCT hikers and dayhikers:  Don't worry !

Unless you are wearing your green immigration service=20
uniform while hiking, the bands of "Mexican hiking enthusiasts"=20
will leave you alone.

You may be asked for water.  No is the same in Spanish=20
as it is in English.

1st and foremost, do not regard every mexican immigrant=20
you run into as a drug runner.  Most all of them are simply=20
moving down the trail towards a better life (like us). =20
Drug runners use cars and usually do not enjoy hiking. =20
Mexicans are generally more peaceful and curteous than Americans. =20
And if you're dayhiking only, I'd venture to say that=20
you've got ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT!!!!!=20

Steve "gettin' along" Courtway

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---