[pct-l] Lone Pine via Trail Pass

<< This is a tough place to hitch. I waited for three hours before I caught a
 ride. There is a local resident named Rich who offered rides to and from the
 trail head. It wasn't cheap, he charged $15 each way. I was fortunate to get
 a ride down with him for free as another hiker had paid to bring them to the
 trail head from town.  >>

We got a ride from Lone Pine up to Horseshoe Meadow in '97.  I think it was
$20, and that seemed fair for a pretty long haul.  We asked at the sporting
goods store just north of the Dow Villa (great place to stay in Lone Pine!)
That was a better deal than the guy who was advertising rides in the
laundromat for $40 per person!

Lone Pine is a great resupply, particularly if you plan to do Whitney.
Getting back to the trail is a bit of a chore, and you definitely want to get
back on the trail via Cottonwood or Trail Pass rather than negotiating the
"99 switchbacks" up to Trailcrest in the early season.