[pct-l] Seeking advice on MSR stoves

John Musielewicz wrote:
> MSR claims the
> dragonfly is a super simmerer which is important when cooking rice and
> beans. Has anyone used either of these stoves and that can make any
> comments on how well they work esspecially for simmering?

As a dragonfly owner, I find that it simmers very nicely.  You can do things
like roast garlic, prepare thick soups, and the likes without fear of producing
a scorched mess on the bottom of your pot.

> How do each work for winter use? The weight seems to be reasonable- around a couple,
> three pounds with fuel and bottles. One thing about the Whisperlite is it has
> worked well under all conditions for me- any altitude, cold weather, wet,
> dry, its a standup little stove and I'd like to replace it with one that
> works at least as well. TIA

I haven't hiked in truly bitter cold conditions with a the dragonfly; 20F or so
is about as cold as I've gotten with it.  The major problem I've had is that
you must place a piece of insulation between the stove and any snow you set it
on; otherwise the snow melts, and the stove sinks, invariably faster on one
side than the other, and you have to scramble to keep your pot from tipping
over.

At the 8500 feet, the highest I've had occasion to light the stove, there were
no noticable altitude-related problems.

Moisture, I have not tested, as I generally carry food and stove inside a
waterproof stuff sack.

The one weakness I've noticed for the MSR dragonfly is that it can be difficult
to light when there is a strong wind.  Find a sheltered place when you stop to
cook.

The dragonfly is also somewhat bulky and oddly shaped.  Plan on keeping
something between it and your back.

Because