[pct-l] shorts vs pants

    I too almost always wear a long sleeve shirt and long pants while
hiking. I'm too old to care what others think about my hairy bow legs. I
do think that in areas with bright sun, the clothes keep one cooler and
provide some protecting against brush and bugs.
    Yet OTOH, when I'm really sweating going up the trail I wonder if
the advantage of the shade of long clothes is outweighed by the
disadvantage of reduced air flow and resulting evaporative cooling from
the skin. Any one know of a scientific study on this?

    Also I recall the Arabs running around the hot deserts of the Middle
East are pictured fully clothed in flowing light weight garments so
maybe covered is best.

    My 2¢.

John

multipart/alternative