[pct-l] shorts vs pants

I always wear pants and a long sleeved shirt when hiking because:
1. They hide my short stubby legs
2. no one can tell if I shave my legs
3. They keep all kinds of bugs at bay
4. No sunburn and/or less suncream needed
5. far less scratches from the chap, yucca, and less poison oak contact
6. Less water evaporated from direct contact with the sun.
7. I feel cooler in the sun. Try this: ride in a car on a sunny day. Let the
sun hit your legs for awhile. Then put a sheet of newspaper over your legs.
Bet you feel MUCH cooler with your legs shaded. Pants do the same thing. They
shade your legs. The PCT guidebook on the Mojave Desert section says the same
thing
     The only advantage for shorts is that they weigh about 4 ounces less and
allow flatulence to dissipate more readily. Most people seem to wear them
because they believe they are cooler than pants. On the other hand, sexist
Mountain Dave can SEE the advantage of beings of the feminine persuasion
wearing shorts and heartily suggests that they continue to do so. (Oh, God,
what am I getting myself into now)