[pct-l] Seeking Advice on PCT footwear

Here's my view on PCT footwear:

Why sneakers?
* Generally "softer" and easier to get a good fit,
don't think that's a too big advantage compared to a
boot.
* Lighter. Big issue for some. I believe you to a
large extent get used the weight on your foot, but
it's still a pretty valid argument. Lighter's always
better.
* More cushioning. That's a pretty important thing for
me. You can always train your muscles to lift a
slightly heavier boot. Training your joints and other
parts of your body that absorb the impact of hiking
takes a lot longer time.
* Better traction. Soft rubber soles give better
traction on almost any surface (look at climbing
shoes). Not a very important point though. You really
don't need a lot of traction on the PCT. It's that
well maintained. The exception is on snow - see below.
* Better ventilation. Almost any sneaker has better
ventialtion than a boot. Except Gore-Tex ones.

Some real reasons to wear boots:
* Kicking every root and rock on the trail. Then learn
to hike differently - or use boots.
* Really weak ancles and know (only) boots help - use
boots.

Some mistaken reasons to wear boots:
* Ancle support. I hate that argument. Boots don't
give a lot of ancle support. They can't, if they did
they would be too uncomfortable to hike in. Sure they
can possibly give you that extra little support
that'll save your day, but that's pretty unlikely on
the PCT which is extremely well maintained. There's a
couple of miles of the 2000+ that's not. Take your
time on those sections and you'll be fine.
* Sneakers won't support higher loads. Another
mistake. Hiked the AT with sneakers and a 25-35 pounds
(plus food and water). That's a 40-50 pound pack fully
loaded. Hiked the PCT with a 25 (plus food and water)
pack. And I'm not exactly ultralightweight myself.
Never had any problems.

Sneakers on snow:
* If it's icy, but soft enough that you can kick steps
then boots are better.
* If it's icy and so hard you can't kick steps then
boots are better if you carry crampons (you won't).
* Boots are warmer/more protective, they also dry
slower.
* Soft rubber soles give better traction on almost any
other surface.
* I prefer Gore-Tex sneakers on snow and other wet
conditions because my feet get cold fairly easily.
Also feel I have a slightly larger margin if something
happens if my feet are fairly dry. Another option is
waterproof liners/gore tex socks for the worst
situations. I tend to prefer gore-tex shoes for
extended periods of snow, but both options are ok.

And the conclusion:
As you might have guessed I'm for sneakers. And my
main reason isn't listed above. Ask yourself how much
time you spend in sneakers (or similar shoes) during
the last year. How much time in boots? For me it's a
99% sneakers - 1% boots ratio. So, why would I want to
switch to a new type of footwear while starting on a
2000 mile hike? Doesn't make sense to me.

Of course it's a very personal choice. If you use
boots a lot - or just prefer them, then go for boots.
But don't select boots because you feel you'll need
them - the PCT is made for horses and sneakers.

What kind of sneakers?
When you've decided on sneakers then excpect to go
thru 3-5 pairs on a thruhike. My favourite are Nike
Air Max cross trainers. Very comfortable and the Air
max soles are thick enough to protect the bottom of my
feet from sharp rocks etc. I've also used Nike
Gore-Tex trail runners for wet conditions. Also great
but the soles are much thinner. And they stopped
making the excellent model I've used four pairs of.
Anyway, they have the main properties I'd look for.
Waterproof/Gore-Tex for snowy/wet areas andprotection
of the bottom of your feet (and cuishioning).
Except for that - select a brand you like (good fit).
And get enough pairs for at least most of the hike.

Svein