[pct-l] Water, chills and salt

At 09:56 AM 3/4/01 , ATnavi@aol.com wrote:
>  But it seemed like no matter
>how much I drank, I couldn't get enough water. .......- with the sun
>beating down
>furiously and no shade to walk in. I was overheating pretty badly. I drank
>almost all my water, and I was starting to get chills.

Since you were drinking adequately but still feeling bad, these were
clacsic signs of "not enough salt" or hyponatremia. You need a LOT of salt
when hiking in hot weather

Lots of references at
http://www.google.com/search?q=hyponatremia

From
http://www.fred.net/ultrunr/noakes.html

3 hours of intense exercise in hot humid environment takes 10grams of salt
to replace.

Alternatively, humans may dehydrate during exercise because they lose up to
60 mEq of Na+ for each litre of sweat (7). As a result, the equivalent of ~
10 g of replace sweat and energy losses during exercise remain to be
established. The NaCl is lost over three hours of exercise and the complete
restoration of the fluid and electrolyte losses in three hours of exercise
can only be achieved by the consumption of ~10 g of NaCl in food over a 24
hr period