[pct-l] a beer story

Here's an excerpt from my application for my
Northville to Lake Placid Trail end to end patch.

    But my most memorable experience came on August
11.  As I passed through the Lake Durant Public
Campsite that afternoon, there were peels of thunder
coming from the northwest and the sky was getting
darker by the minute.  I was hoping to make it to
Tirell Pond, so I crossed my fingers and picked up my
pace.  I expected the storm to come crashing over Blue
Mountain any minute.  After some time I could hear a
light rain hitting the leaves in the treetops, but it
wasn't reaching the forest floor.  That didn't last.
As the rain picked up and the ground started to get
wet (can mud get wet?), I was nearly running.
Suddenly it was there, the O'Neil Flow lean-to.  Just
as I sat down in the shelter with my pack on, the sky
opened up.  I sat there for a few moments, all dry in
the shelter, feeling pretty pleased with myself.
     As I looked around, I noticed some beer cans on
the shelf and thought "No, it's not possible". Sure
enough, I got to have a couple of beers, still chilled
from the night before, while I watched the puddle
under the eaves get bigger and bigger.  It was one of
those "life doesn't get any better than this" moments.
     I'm normally annoyed when people are too lazy to
carry out everything that they carry in, but I may
have to reexamine my feelings on the issue.  I carried
the crushed cans to Lake Placid.

Now back to planning this summer's PCT hike.

Cobweb AT '99