[pct-l] a beer story

Not beer but a related story on the AT...

Hurricane Floyd struck Maine while we were spending the night at Horseshoe
Canyon lean-to.  With both the east and west branches of the Piscataquis
River well above our heads (normally, they're ankle/shin deep), we were
stuck there for three days before we could cross.  The day we got across, I
made the trek back to the west branch to encourage a SOBO woman there to
backtrack and cross at the east branch.

On my way back to the east branch, I stepped over a stream - now for the
fifth time and looked down to see someone's discarded Jack Daniels bottle
(and it was a big one, too).  For some reason it caught my eye and on closer
inspection, I realized it was full.

I don't drink but I grabbed the bottle anyway.  That afternoon, with the
help of some others who managed to get across the west branch, we all
finally got across the east branch.  The whole entourage made short work of
that bottle.  After all, no one was going to carry out the extra weight of a
full bottle.  Everyone was in a great mood for the last 7 miles to Monson.

:-)

Mara