[pct-l] Complaint about Red's Meadow pricing for packages--

At 11:59 AM 1/25/01 , ROYROBIN@aol.com wrote:
>However, I also think they're missing a real business opportunity by not
>providing a resupply service to hikers at a reasonable cost.  That's their
>option

Most of the folks who resupply there are JMT types on a 2-3 week hike.
Probably 100 a go through there, instead of the 100 PCT thru hikers in a
whole season.

When I first did the JMT, I used drops at Muir TR *AND* Red's Meadow.

The money was well worth the service under those conditions: I had limited
time to do the trek, I wanted to stay out of civilization (Mammoth or VVR)
as much as possible would rather pay than detour. Also on such a short
hike, I didn't feel any need to make a town stop.

For all practical purposes, $25, or $45 is very little when compared to
expenses on a "normal" 2 week vacation.

Then again, $25 a drop, when you are using 25 drops in a PCT thru hike can
get expensive

If you don't like the cost/benefit ratio, then don't use the service.